Thursday 4 February 2010















Westham sunset late in November 2008


I'm back, well I never really was away, just been incredibly busy. Towards the end of 2009 I started on a series of guitar making articles that I hope to get published. I plan to post some of them here in the next few weeks.

I have only four more chapters to write in my novel, then it will be time to re-write the whole manuscript before handing it over to the editor.

This guitar is called "Olivia", she is a 615mm scale length, 12 fret parlour guitar. Olivia has been to most of the festivals in 2009 and now is seeking a nice friend to take her home with them. She is modelled on an 1840's Italian parlour guitar that I restored a few years ago. The body is made from highly figured Cocobolo, the soundboard is Sitka spruce. The neck is Brazilian mahogany and the fretboard is ebony. Tuners are by Rubner and the gear ratio is 15:1. The sound of the guitar is bright and cheerful. This demonstrator guitar comes with a hard shell case and all for £1,200.00.

Towersey Folk Festival was another enjoyable weekend, especially when Martin Simpson stopped by and gave us an impromptu concert on "Ursula" a 00 12 fret neck guitar. This 00 guitar is the first in this style that I have made. The body is Indian Rosewood and the soundboard is AA Western red cedar and sports an ebony pyramid bridge. The neck is Brazilian mahogany and the Fretboard is ebony. The tuners are made by Rubner and the gear ratio is 15:1. The guitar scale length is 635mm. Decoration is abalone purfling on the body and soundhole, the logo lettering on the head is hand cut gold MOP as is the inlay on the fretboard. Ursula is supplied in a gig bag and can be yours for the introductory price of £1,400.00.

The year ended like it began with snow and 2010 is following with a vengeance, anyone seen Al Gore lately?

I plan to attend the regular folk festivals again this year and I have been reliably informed that the Acoustic Guitar Show is on again this year in Cheltenham, although at this moment I do not have any dates for the show. There is one other event that I hope to be at but I cant say where till I get more details from the organisers.

This year I have stepped down from membership in the Sussex Guild although I have been invited to be a guest exhibitor on Saturday and Sunday at Michelham Priory.

As I look forward to the months ahead for 2010, I see that this year will be the busiest in many years. As well as all the festivals that I will be attending I am also off to California to celebrate my Dad's 90th birthday in June. While in the USA I hope to drop in on friends in Portland, that's you Dave and Dianne.


Hey Dobbin, where's the global warming then?

Currently under construction in the workshop for me to take to shows and you to take advantage of the demonstrator prices are:
  • Indian Rosewood and Spruce Classical guitar
  • Sycamore and Spruce Mandola
  • Sycamore and Spruce Bouzouki
  • Walnut and Cedar Tenor guitar
  • Cocobolo and Spruce Parlour guitar
Currently under construction in the workshop for customers are:
  1. Indian Rosewood CM/C for a singer songwriter who is off to Nashville in April.
  2. Brazilian Rosewood OM/C for a very fortunate certain son, delivery scheduled for May.
Just repaired in the workshop
  • Yamaha with broken neck. Neck was glued and pined with SS pins
  • Classical needed new saddle and setup
  • Fender Strat respray
  • OM with split body. Re-glued and pined.
  • Parlour guitar with slipper heal, neck re-set.

No comments:

Post a Comment